Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Classroom Digs

Hey ya'll! I'm back with my Classroom digs! I've only taken a few snapshots. My room is still a work in progress (although we are back in full force). I'm waiting on my new rug and chair pockets to arrive. When they do, I'll do the FULL reveal - so stay tuned! Anyways...here is just a sneak peek. I've done a lot of things differently this year....painted, rearranged, changed my bulletin boards, etc. Here is what my classroom looked like last year. 
As you can see....my rug/whole group area was in the far corner of my room (under the large palm leaves). Here is what that corner looks like now...
It houses my classroom library! I added a large tree around my palm leaves for added detail. Students can sit on the bean bags and "explore" books! ;-) ha Yup, I'm corny! All my books are labeled with Reagan Tunstall's book tub labels and stickers (I no longer think the sells this unit). I spent most of the summer working on this and am thrilled with the outcome. 
Students are doing so well with putting books back where they belong. If you'd rather not do this method, check out an easier alternative {here}.
Here is my word wall that my most precious Dad helped me make. I used suggestions from Debbie Diller and April Larremore and was thrilled with the final results. Debbie says:
1) Make a border or a grid for the letters and words to go in. This is based on brain research she is reading about and how the brain sees in borders.
2) Make the vowels one color and the consonants another color.
3) Add a picture for the beginning sound of the letter. This applies to lower grades.
4) Make the words on the word wall in black and white. The words are easier to see this way and it is a  common color for words in print. I decided to put a border around the individual words based on the brain seeing in borders idea.
One thing I wanted to add this year was a defined writing space. While I've always had a writing board, students have never had a space they could go to in order to write (aside from their desks). I am so thrilled with the way this turned out! Of course the sweet little Writer's Eye posters came from Cara Carrol. :)
Here is my calendar/whole group area! I'm awaiting the arrival of my new classroom rug, furnished by Donor's Choose!
Here are just a few other random snap shots! Please check back soon for pictures of the end result. I cannot wait to share it with you! Don't forget to link up with Blog Hoppin' and visit again tomorrow for another Teacher Week '13 post! 
Happy Tuesday. 

11 comments:

Keri Kelly said...

Your classroom looks wonderful! I especially love your Word Wall..food for thought..have you ever tried Bright Sticks EXPO markers? They are intended for blackboard use and are amazing!

Teach~Play~Smile

Unknown said...

Your room looks great! I am doing a jungle theme as well... Just not able to get in my room yet.

Debbie

Laurie said...

Love the color and reading nook!

Laurie
First Grade Lyons' Den

Mrs. Wheeler said...

Lookin' good!!! I love the border you used. It really pops on the black board!

Megan
Mrs. Wheeler’s First Grade
Mrs. Wheeler TpT

Unknown said...

I'd love to read a book in your classroom library! So cute!
Kimberly
Funky First Grade Fun

sarah said...

How much do I LOVE that you have a "kitchen" area in your classroom! I haven't seen a kinder class in years that still has that anymore. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you and your principal still allow for developmentally appropriate "play" in your classroom. Bravo to you!!

Shelly Sitz said...

Your room looks very inviting! Love the jungle theme.

Shelly
Smiling and Shining in Second Grade

Anonymous said...

Hi! Love the tree in your reading center. How did you make it? Thanks!

The Librarian! said...

Love this, how and what did you make the tree out of?

Jan Anttila said...

May I use the photo of your classroom library on my blog (teachingtheteacherblog.com)? I will credit you, of course!

Emily Smith said...

Now that is what we call an eye-opening post. Kudos for the hard work! If you are looking for a platform that can address management assignment issues excellently, the Livewebtutors platform is your ultimate destination. Their astonishing management Computer Science Assignment Help services have assisted thousands of students in achieving top grades in their academic assessments. The experts addressing your management assignment problems are experienced professionals from the industry who are well versed with different university guidelines, referencing techniques, and writing styles required to develop a flawless management assignment solution. They leave no stone unturned in delivering the solutions prior to the set deadline so that the students do not miss out on any submission date.